Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Random man

My little brother cracked me up when I told him I was TTCing as an SMC. He said, "So, the dad will be some random man?" I replied, "David, have I EVER done anything random?

After all, here I am, a driven woman by anyone's standards, getting my Ph. D. after being at the top of my profession, having bought a home before either brother purchased real estate, generally a go-getter, and I am accused of randomness? Yeah, right!

I do anal research. I have the ability to change my life radically to achieve what I want. (Take the Ph. D. as one example and the cholesterol issue as a second one.) Even my impulses aren't anyone's definition of impulse. After my layoff from the bank, I went to graduate school within 3 weeks. No one seems to remember I had already applied, had discussed the issue with the admission counselor at the school, and had been deciding for weeks when I was all-of-a-sudden laid off in a planned company firing. Purchasing my neat toy of a car ... no impulse there. I knew exactly what I was getting, having spent hours researching the car from the manufacturer's website to Edmund's and Consumer Reports. Yes, my thinking was a bit whimsical (who else would buy a periwinkle convertible with go-cart responsiveness?) but it was not an impulsive thing.

So why would I veer suddenly from my careful attitude to take a chance on a random man? I have selected a sperm donor so that I know the future for my child. No child-rearing issues, no subtle or direct attacks in court, no one questioning my parenting choices. I am not subject to diseases from a one-night stand and I can control the IQ of the donor I select -- if he doesn't have an IQ close to mine, he's out. All of my final picks had great IQs, good skin (no fair skins in the choices), height but not weight (no fatties allowed), and decent familial health histories (no alcoholics within 2 generations and no cancer). I also selected ID Disclosure donors in case my child would want future health information and to at least have an inkling of his/her heritage.

Like I would go random? Hmph. Just because I don't know his name does not mean I would ever attempt random. Random is sex in the backseat of a car after you just met on a dancefloor. Random is hooking up at a party. Random is picking a guy because he's cute. Nah, random is not for me.

No comments: