Sunday, February 3, 2008

My TTC trials so far

Saying the word "trials" is just not realistic. I haven't had all that many. I met with the Reproductive Endocrinologist (heretoafter, RE) in August and discussed the process. Yes, I was 39, a troublesome age at which to get pregnant. However, he had hopes. I had my Day 3 blood draw and had an estradiol level of 6, which is "excellent." Then he scheduled me for the Clomiphene Citrate Challenge Test for my next cycle and I took the 5 days' worth of clomid pills religiously. (Funny story about 1 day, which will have to come another time.) I passed that test well. It tells them that I have ovarian reserves sufficient for this task. Without passing either test, I would not be able to TTC. Well, all was set for the next cycle ... all I had to do was call them on Day 1 and we would begin.

Day 1 didn't come. Finally, on like Day 8 or 9 of expecting Day 1 (AF), they called me in for an ultrasound. A cyst. Yes, a nasty little Clomid cyst which was simply preventing my cycle from beginning. Nasty little bugger. I was feeling all sorts of angry thoughts at that water-filled cell in my ovary. Well, a cycle on birth control pills eradicated the cyst and I was ready to try again. In the meantime we did the Hysterosalpingram (HSG) test, which revealed I had nice clear tubes and no pesky little problems that they could see.

So on Day 1 of my next cycle, I called the office, all excited to begin trying. Bad news - the RE would be missing, with his entire staff, from the office when I would ovulate 2 weeks hence, so I could not do the cycle. GGGGrrrrr!!!! Back on BCPs (kind of ironic going on birth control pills to get pregnant) for 2 more weeks and another AF.

Finally, AF arrives and I called in. We did a Day 3 blood test (3 months had elasped since the -first one) and I started on Femara, which is a breast cancer treatment drug used off label by REs for ovulation induction. Basically, it holds back estrogen production so my aging body can produce more follicles and we can grow good, strong eggs. Femara is used in older infertile women instead of Clomid, since it does not have as many nasty side effects as Clomid (I have to tell THAT story sometime), does produce good eggs, and does not impede the growth of the uterine lining like Clomid. So I took Femara 5 days, CD 3-7. No problem. I showed up at the RE's office on Day 12 as instructed for my ultrasound and blood draw. Good blood, low progesterone (so my surge is nowhere near) and nice pretty follicles, but they are so small and my uterine lining needs time. So I was scheduled to come in on Day 13. U/S and bloodwork again, again nothing happening but a steady growth. Day 15, U/S. Larger follicles (2) and uterine lining was now an 8.1, but still doesn't look right. Day 16, did an ovulation preditor kit pee-on-a-stick, nope. Day 17, POAS, nope. Day 18, U/S and blood draw. U/S revealed the last remaining follicle was now of a perfect size, a 24, and the bloodwork said I was on the slow uphill progesterone climb of a surge. So, home I went to have my father inject me with HCG, in the form of an Ovidrel shot (I have a needle phobia, so there was no way I could do it to myself). Insemination in CD 19, did not take.

OK, ready to try my 2nd medicated IUI cycle. I spoke with the RE nurse about the timing. I was supposed to be out of town for CD 12-16, which was of some concern, since I am so regular (regularly) it's scary. She said not to worry -- last cycle I ovulated on CD 19 with help from the HCG shot, so it looked promising. So I flew to Texas for a conference and while walking in the airport, thought I was a mite-bit squishy. Nah, it must be my imagination, not a week early, surely. I ignored it and on CD 13 finally tested with the OPK. Yes, surge. Plain as day. A couple phone conversations later, I was cursing a blue streak. I simply had no options since my swimmers were in North Carolina and I HAD to be in Texas (I had a presentation, a major deal). And there was no way to get my swimmers there and get inseminated. Rats!

Counting out, I discovered that the timing looked like again I would ovulate while out of town over the Christmas holidays. So I called the REs office - anything to do to delay AF or perhaps hurry it up, to work around the out-of-town issue? No. (Even though there WERE options as I learned later, they did not offer any.) So do you know happened? Yes, Christmas Eve, I surged. Ggggrrrr!!!!

Now we're talking frustration. Out of 4 possible cycles, I'd only been able to try once. And that one time had not worked (duh!) so this next cycle, I was ready. No presentations were on the horizon, CD 1 came, I was all set. And the nurse said, "We're going to be out of the office when you ovulate." Pregnant silence from me. Then she said she was just joking. Look lady, NOT something to joke about!!

So, on CD 3 I started taking Femara once again. I should at this point tell you what Femara does to me. Since it is a breast cancer treatment drug, yes, my hair fell out. Not all of it, of course, but enough so that it was very embarassing and really had me worried. Then I had scalp lesions. Oh yes, they are fun. Little pus-filled bumps all within my scalp. All that came the 1st month. The second month the scalp lesions returned but we also added a new flavor to the side-effects - hives. Yes, folks, I have a very active immune system. And my body has decided it simply is not fond of Femara. So I called up my GP after suffering for 3 weeks with intense itching to ask for a prescription for Atarax, a hives wonder drug. He gave it to me but said it's not for pregnancy. My 3rd cycle, hives and scalp lesions again. This was getting old. This 4th cycle, since I knew pregnancy was a possibility, I did not take Atarax to help with the itching. I simply did not want to hurt/impede/misgrow the follicles. So I have been an itch factory since CD1. My breasts itched, my back itched, my legs itched, my hands itched, my scalp itched (and oozed, mind you), my neck itched, I think even my dreams itched.

But I persevered. (This is where we cue in the triumphant music.) Cycle Day 11, I went in for U/S and bloodwork. 7 follicles, of which 4 would grow to a good size, no ovulation in sight. CD 13, same 4 follicles were growing and bloodwork showed no surge. I was VERY worried about 4 follicles, since more follicles means more eggs and as a single mother, I simply could not handle quads or triplets. CD 14, POAS OPK. No surge. They wanted blood anyway, so I shot off for the clinic. Nothing. CD 15, U/S and bloodwork, we were down to 3 follicles and the surge was into the hinterlands (not there). I was relieved. 3 follicles meant much less likelihood of multiples. I had never realized how much triplets scared me until I saw 4 large follicles. But with 3, relief. So Dad gave me my Ovidrel that night at 9:30 and I was in on Saturday for my insemination on CD 19. Weird how we're working with a lot of unpredictability with my cycles - ovulations as such: CD 19, CD 14, Cd 14, CD 19. Weird. It could be an ABB pattern ( teacher humor).

This insemination HURT like the dickens. (The first one was pleasant, well, as pleasant at it can be with someone finagling with a speculum and injecting you with sperm.) She had to hold the cervix with a tool and it was not fun. Folks, we have nerve endings in there too! Anyway, I was so down I needed retail therapy to help me get over the feeling. So I bought 4 baby sleepers at an awesome sale at Belk's. They were, of course, in gender neutral colors. :)

But this cycle has been weird. While waiting, I've had weird things going on. I am absolutely convinced this one did not take (it hurt too much). But these weird things have me wondering. No telling.

Anyways, that's my story for now. I imagine in 7 days I will be reporting CD1 again and we will begin the itch routine with Femara again. Stay tuned!

No comments: