Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I've decided on where I am going

Well, the interviews have come to a close. I received a total of 3 offers (would have been more but I shut 3 schools down early when I realized they were not in the same field as my first offer). Two of the offers were from Research 1 schools. I can't believe that I garnered their attention since I am at a Research 1-wannabe school. The 3-3's, that I understand. We are a 3-3. And I've been successful in the 3-3 guise this year. Research 1's are 2-2. Wow, to have time to write!

At my last interview, a colleague who did not watch my presentation spoke to some other folks who did attend, then she spoke with me. She said they were floored by my research presentation. I don't know what to say. Folks, I am simply not that good. However, the evidence seems to show the contrary. But why?

Like I said, I did not attend a Research 1 school. Instead, I have been catapulted along a research path by a visionary chair, one who used to teach in a Research 1 school. He has been the demanding one, the one who insisted I keep learning and questioning. I adapted to the job stress, I worked on my professorial-skills, I worked on my teaching. For the past 3 years, I have been pulling a 3-3+ and have been able to do my research and writing. So the workload, while it is substantial, has shown me that I CAN do this.

So, I will be moving up north again this summer. I am looking forward to living in a city again. Imagine, a real grocery store in my city! Imagine, culture! Imagine, Italian restaurants run by real Italians! Imagine, taxis for the mornings your car won't start!

Can you tell I am excited?

No comments: