Thursday, March 13, 2008

Diabetic cat update

My diabetic cat just got checked at the vet's office yesterday and he is fine. I got permission to inject him as he eats, which has made the likelihood of bent needles lower. He calms down so much when he eats, it is terrific. The injection this morning was perfect. No worries.

Further, my other elderly male cat has lost some weight. He is obese but is at 15.2 lbs., down from 17.0 lbs. at his latest weigh-in. He has been on prescription diet cat food now for about 6 weeks, making his weight loss 11% of his previous weight. Not bad for 6 weeks! I'm feeding him the amount of food for a cat at 10 pounds, which I think is a reasonable expectation. All 3 of the non-diabetic cats are on the prescription diet food.

The diabetic cat, is now at 13.2, which means he lost .7 pounds in 6 weeks. I'm hoping to stabilize his weight soon.

Three of my cats had Booger (no kidding on the name) as their father, mated to Sweet Mama, a calico. Booger was HUGE. He had long hair, a large frame, but was kind of on the skinny side, since he was a neighborhood stray. Sweet Mama was more compact, kind of like how my calico is built. So it makes sense why my cats tend towards fat - with a large frame and the propensity to put on weight ... now if only I could borrow their propensity! :) (Ever the rant of the one who CAN'T gain weight!)

No comments: